Thursday 23 May 2013

NETTLE PESTO



 I set out to pick some nettles in the countryside garden!



I've intended to pick nettles to use in cooking forever - as most of you probably know the nettle is a very healthy plant, although it is considered a weed and not a utility plant - but always missed out on doing so at the right time of year.

 
Nettles should be picked when they carry new and fresh leave buds. I used only the top leaves of the plant.

 The rest of the plants I lay to soak in water; nettle-water makes a great natural fertilizer for you garden.

I made pesto of my nettles. After parbloiling the nettles I mixed them with what you'd more or less use for your regular basil pesto too; I made mine with sunflower seeds, a few almonds, garlic and of course olive oil.

 Gave it all a go in the mixer and put in a jar.

And had it with pasta and zucchini later in the evening. The nettle pesto is a rather milde in taste so I threw in some capers and sundried tomato nibs too to top it of. Noms.

(Btw I'm not the only one who was totally mindfucked by this about a decade ago am I? I can't help but recall it whenever I hear the word "nettle". Excellent choice to watch a few episodes if you can't sleep at night, ehrm...
Sorry.)

5 comments:

rose japan said...

Beautiful photos...yummy delicious pasta

hugs rose jp

Unknown said...

This looks so deilcious xx

Bettieboo999 said...

We can not get video links at work but I am assuming the link is to Salad Fingers.... ha! I too- will forever associate nettles with Mr.Salad Fingers.

Sarah said...

I had never heard of Mr. Salad Fingers!
How can that be?!?!
Thank you for that tip, I think... ;-)

We used to have nettle soup when I was growing up. It tasted quite bland. But this pesto looks amazing!

Sarah
(aka OldeSarah)

Ina - Years Since Yesterday said...

I picked nettles last weekend, too! I dried them to use in everything (basically) during the rest of the year.