Friday 17 October 2008

A STYLISH COINCIDENCE

You know why you should always do the "what are you going to wear"-call to your friends before going out?

This is why.

As many things are often about details, wearing the same detail as someone else - even though otherwise dressed rather neutrally - may cause those two people's outfits to look like twins. Nobody pays any attention to the fact that two girls are both dressed all in black, but two girls in black with black-and-white checked shoes may already raise an eyebrow or two...
Well, her shoes are gingham and mine are pepita so that only makes our outfit cousins.
And in the end, we didn't think about it for long because so what.*


Somtimes the way we see similarity, when it come to dressing, can be a bit funny. For example, some people dressed all in black won't really catch your eye (ok, unless they are all victorian goth,death metal fans or so but that's not what I ment), but the same crowd all in red, or say, blue from head to toe will. Actually any other colour than black would certainly be noticed (this of course is not only related to the way we react to clothing but to colours aswell and certainly varies a bit from place to place). Then there's also the aspect of feeling that people following a certain style, different from one's own, tend to look reather alike. (I can only imagine: "You know those girls that like old movies, fleamarkets and stuff and dresses like my grandmother? They all look the same in their skirts, red lips and rolled hair..." :) The way we tend to look at others is an interesting topic but as I always try to keep myself short, I'll just leave it to this.

*) Back in the days on an extempore trip abroad (=no luggage) with J we wanted to go to the baths and did some rapid swimsuit shopping. We found bikinis and retro-cut swim shorts in the wame pattern and the idea of matching gear was hilarious in our hungover minds until we met at the pool. Then it was just really really lame. And we were concious about that for most of the stay.


Pssst. Thank you all for the comments on my previous posts and sorry if I'm not always too quick anwering them...

13 comments:

Smaggle said...

Ha ha! You probably should have called ahead about your tattoos too!

WendyB said...

Sexy gals!

andrea said...

You guys look super cute together! It's cool, my friend and I live 4 hours apart and always accidentally show up wearing the same color scheme whenever we meet. Great minds, eh?

Anonymous said...

You both have gorgeous outfits! I's funny when that happens..Me and a dear friend of mine in some way always manage to do that. Here in Italy there's a tv show where they have a blond girl and a dark haired girl that always dresses the same so people often teases us about that!

Anonymous said...

For what it's worth, you both look sleek and sexy, and similar but DEFINITELY not matchy-matchy.

A coworker friend and I must share a brain, because we're constantly coming to work dressed in eerily similar getups. I've got a post about that very thing coming up!

Mrs Munster said...

Never mind, at least you both look stunning in your dresses!

Eveliina said...

Näytätte supertyylikkäiltä! :0)

Lil Midget said...

Vackra bilder! Både du och din vän ser ljuvlig ut. Double the beauty!

Kramar!

pumps & luiers said...

I used to own exactky the same shoes as my friend - when we go out, we used to phone eachother asking if anyone was wearing the shoes lol

Hilde Hooper said...

The exact same thing happened to a friend and I the other day. We met for a movie both wearing Grey shirts, dark denim jeans and Converse shoes.
Written down that is not nearly as gorgeous as your outfit Haha.

Miriam Parkman said...

The last picture is so lovely!
I love your smiles over this minor mistake;)

Bombchell said...

lol I remember in kindergarten me and my cousin had the same exact outfit, that out parents sewed, lol ppl kept asking if we planned it.

gorgeous pics

Anonymous said...

Wow!! I love this! You are so beautiful and your outfits are incredible. I cant help but feel great admiration when reading this. I hope one day, I can be like you! We also share the same love of Interpol!!! I must say I do lik emyself a bit of Interpol. And Mr Paul Banks isn't to bad is he :P !! I'd love to design fashions as well as you and looking at some of the things that you are wearing and have drawn you make me want to take what I've done further!! Thank you, a highlight to my day!! xx


Courtney x