Thursday 28 August 2008

KIND OF TWENTISH


Not how I usually leave the house, but I went to a venue were the dress code was black-and-white and I dressed somewhat according to the theme of the night which was burlesuqe in the 1920's. (Sometimes I wonder if you could dress in all-grey to such a dresscode. Grey is still after all, black and white. Yes, very very funny heh.) It's nice with a little change every now and then.

Anyway, I get a lot of e-mails from nice people asking me about vintage fashion and where to be able to find things from a certain decade. Yes, I prefer vintage both from an aesthetic, ecological (and partly also economical) point of view, and it's great if you actually come across clothes from a certain decade/style that inspires your dressing. But I don't think the year a garment was produced really is that important in the end, since the final look mostly depens on the whole - your acessories, you makeup, your hairdo. You could easily make a dress form the say sixties look like it was from the twenties if you use the right detials (this is just an exapme. I'm not saying a psychedelic patterned dress will do the trick but I guess you get my point). And of course the more classical and timeless a piece of clothing is, the more versatile it is to adapt to different styles.

So in this case my actual clothing wasn't really that much 1920's at all (wearing a shirt from H&M bought last year), but I still think I managed to create a look that would clearly be seen as inspired by that deacade - smokey eyes and small pointy lips, pinned hair (built the same way as here but by rolling the curls in another direction, downwards instead) and drop-shaped earrings.


(If you want more details of the hair or makeup you can click the image bigger as usual)

8 comments:

Tara said...

cute dress, i've been looking for a sailor-inspired one for ages! and i love the bag that's behind you in the first picture.

Mrs Munster said...

That's really beautiful look. I love the whole 20's style. I agree what you said about making even the 80's clothes look like different era with accessories etc. In the end different styles and eras are in a "connection", something adopted from previous ones.

Project360 said...

I love your style!

The Freelancer's FashionBlog said...

Tara : Yes that bag was such a find! It's good ol' plain H&M actually!

Mrs.Munster : thanks you. I really enjoy doing the twenties thing even thoug I don't do it that often...

Miriam : thanks!

esme and the laneway said...

I love it! Sounds like a fun venue, too.

Miss Rascal said...

Totally sweet but yet a bit morbid.
Damn girl! You can pull anything off! :D

fröken lila said...

you really look adorable as a 20s diva, both with blond and with dark hair!

by the way, on besamecosmetics.com they have a how-to section describing how to do 20s, 30s, 40s and 50s make-up.

Ruby Fuerza AKA Lucille Brawl said...

yes yes i love how you did your lips - a great detail. it's amazing how they transport the face back in time! xx